One of the most common problems a person can encounter in their showers is a shower leak. However, despite its commonness, identifying the cause of a shower leak can be a handful because there are many possible causes. Moreover, if you pointed out a shower issue wrongly, you might perform an incorrect intervention for the shower leak. That act may worsen the situation.
Choosing which kind of waterproofing you will use for your shower is an essential decision. Nonetheless, you can worry less because we will guide you in this article. We will let you know the common causes of shower leaks, how you will fix them, and how you can choose suitable waterproofing for your shower.
What Causes A Shower Leak?
Before you can even choose which waterproofing to use, you need to identify the causes of your shower leak first. However, doing this step can be confusing and challenging. Since there are plenty of possible reasons that may affect your shower leak, it may be hard for you to distinguish which is due to multiple shower leak causes.
The following are the possible reasons why your shower is leaking:
- If left unattended, cracked tiles can cause numerous severe moisture issues. Shower tiles can break due to poor grout placement, faulty installation of an anti-fracture membrane, or structural movement.
- Shower leaks can also come from detached silicones in the perimeter joints of your shower. Usually, there is a 12-month life expectancy for silicones before they begin to split. If breakage starts to happen, water will flow beneath the tiles and cause additional moisture problems.
- In most cases, people set mitered tiles firmly together, or if not mitered, they place ordinary tiles together closely. With that, the tile grout does not have enough room to cling the tiles. As a result, holes may appear in your shower, allowing water to flow in and cause moisture problems.
- Structural movements in freshly-built homes or establishments can also contribute to shower leaks. Frequently, there are unnecessary structural movements that people overlook. As a result, there will be thin hairline cracks in the joints of your walls or floors.
- Using harsh cleaning agents in cleaning your shower place is one of the major problems that cause shower leaks. It breaks and damages your grout between the tiles, leading you to worsen waterproofing in your shower.
- Lastly, the seal between the tile’s floor waste has become degraded to the point of not being existent. This situation is evident when there is no more room in the plastic floor waste or the tiles near it for the sealant to perform its work correctly.
How Do You Fix A Shower Leak?
After knowing the possible causes of shower leaks, it is essential to know the different types of waterproofing that you can use to fix the shower leak. Choosing suitable waterproofing determines the way on how you will repair the leak.
Method #1. Using moisture barriers
People have designed moisture barriers to keep water out of your shower and manage it as a vapor. With up to 75 percent humidity levels, the barrier covers the surface’s pores with a polymer or epoxy, preventing water vapor from getting through. Moisture barriers are ideal for addressing high-moisture slabs or areas with a risk of high moisture conditions developing.
Moisture barriers are essential for your shower’s enclosure. Tile installers have considered installing moisture barriers an excellent practice for protecting both the structure and the surface of your shower place. Even though you can design your shower place without installing a moisture barrier, it can lead you to have slight moisture build-up that can cause mould and mildew problems.
Method #2. Using waterproofing membranes
A waterproofing membrane is a thin, water-tight plastic layer that keeps moisture from leaking through a substrate. Installers typically put these membranes as part of a foundation beneath concrete slabs. When utilized at low pressures, waterproofing membranes are efficient and helpful. However, on the other side, their moisture barrier qualities are drastically decreasing when subjected to higher PSIs (pound per square inch).
Even though high pressures are uncommon for waterproofing membranes, they can still occur, especially during flooding or when the floor surface is stacked high with heavy objects and furniture. Waterproofing membranes are ideal for homeowners and business owners who want a dependable and straightforward moisture barrier to keep their showers dry.
How Do You Choose Between Moisture Barriers And Waterproofing Membranes?
Choosing which waterproofing to use between moisture barriers and waterproofing membranes depends on the situation and the shower leak issue. Do you need to stop the water or water vapor? Or are you working on a high-moisture concrete slab?
Moisture barriers work best when you need to install solid sheet vinyl. They are suitable for more concrete places, such as concrete slabs. Moreover, it is ideal to use moisture barriers in areas with high temperatures, moister and humid climates.
On the other hand, waterproofing membranes are best to stop water leaks and pressure on walls, foundations, roofs, and the likes.
How Do You Install Waterproofing To Your Shower?
If you currently need to fix the shower leak in your shower and install waterproofing for it, GIB Tiling Perth is always ready to assist you. This Perth shower repair company comprises expert and skilled plumbers who can help you distinguish your shower issues and advise the best solution that could last for a long time. You can contact us freely if you want to know more, and we will get back to you as soon as possible!